1. Calling all Elementary Teachers to join the brand new Google+ Plus Community. Do you like Pinterest? Well, think of this as Pinterest just for Amherst Teachers. Right now it seem that only Gail and myself are posting but we are asking you to join and share documents as well. We will come to your classroom and help you get started or you can click this link. If you haven't already joined Google+, you will have to join first and then add the ACPS Community to your account. Please let us know if you have questions.
2. Here is a resource I created. I love logic puzzles! Can your students solve the snowflake math problems? This resource and more can be found on our Google+ Community. I post new resources there daily! To download this resource, click on the image and then go to File->Make A Copy.
3. This resource specifies history but could actually be used in reading or science as well. Have your students design a the cover for a video game! Students love this. This idea is one I got from a worksheet someone gave me when I was a classroom teacher. It originally wanted students to design the cover of a movie. I scanned it and turned it into a Google Draw document.
4. Did you see anything new in your Google Drive last week? Last week Google released Team Drive. Google"s Team Drives are shared spaces where teams can easily store, search, and access their files anywhere, from any device.
Unlike files in My Drive, files in Team Drive belong to the team instead of an individual. Even if members leave, the files stay exactly where they are so your team can continue to share information and get work done.
I have not explored Team Drive much but it seems like a wonderful concept. I am thinking it will work much like our Share Folders on the Seven Dwarf Servers.
5. Friday at the Movies - Africa by Toto on the Floppotron
Last week the ITRTs received an email from Jean Weller who is "our boss at the state level." She often keeps us updated with articles on new technology, sends resources, and links to the Superintendent Memos which will affect us as ITRTs. Last week she also included this video just for fun. The music you hear is all created by the sounds of old technology. I love it!
Bonus: Did you try the coding challenge last week? Here is the solution. Can you solve this week's challenge? To open the challenge, click on the image and then go to File -> Make A Copy.
Hi, my name is Melanie Lewis. I am an Instructional Technology Resource Teacher for Amherst County Public Schools, located in the beautiful state of Virginia. I LOVE my job! I get to work on my hobby, anything that has to do with computers. I get to work with teachers and students, and I am definitely a people person. Plus, I DO NOT have to give grades. Wonderful, huh? Let me know how I can help you better integrate technology into your classroom.
ACPS' 1st computers
I know only one thing about the technology that awaits us in the future: We will find ways to tell stories with it. ~Jason Ohler