1. Our students LOVE LOVE LOVE coding challenges! This resource is one that you can use in a center. Students solve riddles that are done using the ASCII alphabet. What is the ASCII alphabet? The ASCII alphabet is based off of the binary code. Our math is usually done is Base 10 which uses ten digits, 0-9. In binary there are only two digits, 0 & 1, base 2. The ASCII alphabet converts the Base 2 numbers into letters. Check out this resource and try it with your students. They will love it!
2. Check out this cool Google Draw document! Students design a tattoo that would describe the character in the story. What elementary student would not love this task! Click on the image to open the document. Then you will need to go to File->Make a Copy to have your own version. If you like this you can find this resource and more at Engaging Students Google Resources.
3. Recently, Amherst County started to go through branding. Use this as an opportunity to help your students understand copyright. See if your students can identify brands with only seeing a partial part of the logo. You are welcome to use this slide show I created as an example or create one that is more kid friendly. Can you identify all these logos?
4. Have you ever created sand art? I use to love this particular craft but I have to admit it is very messy! Well, don't give up! Here is a cool online version!
5. Friday at the Movies - Thanks to all the wonderful teachers we have in ACPS!
_Hi, my name is Melanie Lewis. I am an Instructional Technology Resource Teacher for Amherst County Public Schools,
located in the beautiful state of Virginia. I LOVE my job! I get to
work on my hobby, anything that has to do with computers. I get to work
with teachers and students, and I am definitely a people person. Plus,
I DO NOT have to give grades. Wonderful, huh? Let me know how I can help you better integrate technology into your classroom.
ACPS' 1st computers